Warning. Cloning this item will not retain its parent-child relationship.
The history of the Library
In 1851 the University Senate formed a committee to select books even before any professors were appointed. Frederick Hale Forshall was appointed Librarian in 1852. A room on the first floor in the Main Building (now the Senate Room) was prepared for the Library in 1857. In 1885, the University received thirty thousand pounds from the estate of the late Thomas Fisher, retired bootmaker and property investor, to be used "in establishing and maintaining a library". It wasn't until 1909 that the first Fisher Library opened after the NSW Government funded its construction in 1901. The second Fisher Library was opened in 1963 with a five storey undergraduate wing, to which a nine storey stack was added four years later.
500,000th Book: Australian Lepidoptera and their transformations. Drawn from the life by Harriet and Helena Scott. With Descriptions General and Systematic by A.W. Scott. London: John Van Voorst, 1864. Title Page.
First Book purchased by the Friends of the University of Sydney Library: Missa de Sanctis Exuperio & Lupo. 15th Century Mass-Book. RB Add Ms.3 65.
New Medical Library in the George H: Bosch Building. Library reading room as seen from reception desk area.
New Medical Library in the George H. Bosch Building. Reading room looking towards St. Andrew's College oval